View Single Post
Old October 9, 2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Brit

Shoot enough

As you shoot the same pistol, from the same holster, worn in the same place (concealed) year in, year out, certain habits form, not really things you consciously think about, they just slip in, then you have them.

Shooting multiple shots at mid distances, say, 7 to 12 yards, two hands, eye level sighted fire might be the best way to strike vital places, a lot.

But whilst holding on to something/someone, with your off hand, that option goes out of the widow. The way these skills form is shooting a lot, in places that have been modified to match the places you might need those skills, and a bench in an indoor range is not the best solution.

Remember the Stake out squad was disbanded not because they were ineffective, but because they were too effective! The lessons learned are still as valid today, as they were then.

In being sent to monitor a class run by Jim Cirillo, I happened across the range portion when only Jimmy was there, lunch? he said would I like to shoot it, indoor range, set up as a basement (parking garage?) you search after entering a door way, "Sure" said I. First image I see, off to one side, a big paper image of a coverall clad man, large wrench on shoulder, I shot him.

When reloaded and holstered I was asked by a grinning Jim, "You are not a LEO are you Mike?" No said I, I just teach them.

Apparently this "Maintenance man" was to be challenged, he was real close to me though! And that was a big wrench! We lost a gifted, and good man with Jim Cirillo's passing, too early.

Page generated in 0.03628 seconds with 8 queries