View Single Post
Old March 14, 2019, 07:31 PM   #34
zukiphile

No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeGentleman
Quote:
I would be surprised if there were a single state, commonwealth or territory in which the legislature had provided no mechanism for dealing with them.
I'm sure you are correct but are the mechanisms effective?
Yes. The mechanism involves people with expertise and experience assessing the actual evidence. Where they conclude that the person is incompetent, that person loses a range of rights.

Quote:
Isn't some behavior so bizarre that maybe that person who exhibits it shouldn't have a gun? We had a shooting last year here in TN at a Waffle House. The shooter had a prior history of running around naked in public screaming at and threatening people.
Add alcohol and that sounds like college.

Quote:
I agree the bar should be high to commit someone to an institution indefinitely and against their will but it seems in the Marjorie Stoneman case, Gabby Giffords and this Waffle House one most folks who knew of the shooter were not surprised when they committed their crimes.
I don't think that's true. (I am not doubting that someone said he wasn't surprised, but that measuring foresight in hindsight is accurate.) There is a lot of distance between believing that a person is likely to go on a mass murder spree on the one hand, and on the other hand telling a reporter after an event that one isn't surprised by it.

In which of those cases did someone petition a court to appoint a guardian before the shooting?

Last edited by zukiphile; March 15, 2019 at 07:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.03269 seconds with 8 queries