View Single Post
Old June 2, 2018, 12:33 PM   #56
hounddawg

Quote:
I did a test a few years ago that showed how I held the rifle effected my ES/SD so I no longer put to much stock in those numbers
a consistent hold is important no matter what disicpline you are shooting. I dry fire at least three 30 minute sessions per week practicing cheek weld, follow through, breathing etc. Most of my flyers are attributable to me, the shooter. Not ammo or gun.

I was shooting my tactical build a week or two back at 600. Loaded 5 rounds in the magazine shot them. Loaded 5 more and shot those. When I checked my target my ten shot group was really more like two 5 shot groups that overlapped. I must have changed my cheek weld or grip slightly on my second magazine. Time for more dry firing

Quote:
Unless my SD's are in the 20's+ I more go off consistent group size as to what constitutes a good load
at what range ?

take two 168 SMK's one traveling 2700 FPS the other 2675 or 25 FPS slower. Shoot both from a mounted test barrel and action. Point of impact for the slower bullet will be .4 lower at 300 yards, 4 inches lower at 800 yards and 9 inches lower at 1000. That's easily the difference between the ten ring and the nine ring at the longer ranges.

I develop my loads for 600 - 1000 so I want SD's in the single digits. Even at closer ranges the lower my SD the fewer flyers I seem to get.

I see people shoot 1 hole groups at 100 and shoot in the 180's with the same load at 800 with vertical spreads of over a minute and a half

Page generated in 0.02252 seconds with 8 queries