View Single Post
Old December 8, 2017, 10:42 AM   #16
OzeanJaeger

Well, I only shoot a ray gun in competition. I have a lot of hunting and sporter rifles too. Matches are really the only time I need maximum speed and to keep the scope on target for follow up shots, ergo everything is designed for that. When hunting with magnums I prefer the biggest brake I can find or a can that effectively reduces all that recoil. I’m not a bench rest shooter, but I like looking at those machines, and many builders offer offer a right hand bolt with a left eject. That makes sense to me too, as does a left windage for a right handed shooter on a long distance rifle when dialing windage.

I am pretty sure that some of the old straight pull military rifles were designed that way to try and mitigate the problems you bring up. I have an old Styre straight pull in the safe, I’ve never shot, but putting it on a work rest and cycling the bolt it seems to work pretty well in that regard.

I have always thought if someone could figure out how to make an effective Olympic, biathlon repeater in a center fire cartridge it may change the way we look at bolt guns. The engineering problem appears to be length of the throw more than anything else. To get that “flick” in a long cartridge the mechanism may have to be too complicated to be 100% reliable. Just a thought...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hkBwd6ozg

Page generated in 0.02844 seconds with 8 queries