View Single Post
Old May 10, 2001, 04:36 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's not a sniper rifle either...

The top riflemen weren't called snipers and the term was not yet coined. Good riflemen were known as rifle-man, marksman, jaegers or at most, sharpshooters.

Further removing my rifle from "military" service is its style, Lancaster, circa 1790. It's too gaudy and thin to be of French-Indian War or American Revolution War era. Those were a bit thicker and heavier (and stronger). So, I maintain that my rifle is a "sporting" gun and not a weapon of war, unlike the death spewing Brown Bess or carnage causing Charleville.

By the way, I hope your cartridge box doesn't hold more than 10 rounds. If you want to stay legal, stay with the 9 round French-Indian War belly box or the King's Men will be visiting you like they did earlier at Concord. If you have one of those "high-capacity" cartridge box, the extra holes must be plugged permanently. A wooden dowel of the same diameter driven into the cartidge box hole and then pinned with a three-penny nail will satisfy the King's Men as to your loyality and obedience to the Crown. Temporary patches with wax, mud or dirt or hornet nest wadding are viewed as feeble attempts to circumvent the law.

Oh, in case you forgot, there's a limit as to the numbers of flints you can have on hand too. Don't toss out the old flints which can't be knapped anymore as you may exchange them for new ones when you visit to the Royal Chartered Gunsmith.

Finally, lest you forget, powder horns are seizable if seditious comments in reference to "liberty" are found on them. If you're making a new horn, the Royal Cipher is the approved mark, but religious symbols are also acceptable.

I have the honour, Sir, to be your obedient servant.

Gary

Page generated in 0.03962 seconds with 8 queries