View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmclark
I read Sheep's earlier post and enjoyed it.
Thank you. My pleasure.
Quote:
In the olden days when I got my setup (in the 70s) I was unimpressed with Lee products. Very rough looking and feeling and gave the aura of low quality. They have stayed in the industry for another 40 years now so I should give them another look. I have their dies, and they are cheaper than competion, plus the shell holder if you need it.
I, too started in the 70s with an RCBS single stage. (a Jr, replaced by a RockChucker when I got the chance a few weeks later)
Quote:
From what I read and know, I'm guessing a turret press would increase my hourly output significantly without requiring a big learning curve or a lot of extra time to set up. IS THAT RIGHT? If so, I'll probasbly go that way.
I can do 50 an hour on a single stage easily, but 125-150 an hour on my Turret just as easily. Some claim 250 an hour, but I suspect they are not including keeping the components replenished, boxing the product or quality control sampling in their time.
Quote:
It looks like to use the indexing capability I'd need the powder dispenser on top> IS THAT RIGHT?
Lee's Auto-Disk powder measure/dispenser mounts atop the case-mouth belling die (Lee's die is hollow and the powder drops through it) and drops the charge when the case pushes the belling mandrel up. Alternatively, you can do without the dispenser by simply sticking a funnel in the die. If you are not using Lee's dies, you leave the station where powder charging is to be done without a die, substituting a funnel, and drop your measured powder charge by hand. This, of course, means you only have three dies stations available for loading. If you are using a 3-die set this is no problem, but a 4-die set would be problematic.
Quote:
Otherwise I'm not seeing how to charge the case on the turret and make sure I don't fail to charge one. Eager to learn, but harder without a setup to play with.
Take a look at some of the videos on Youtube. Yes, you have to watch the process closely to avoid a double charge or missed charge. This is not difficult if you design your production process and follow the algorithm.

Here's one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6OS0LoRPE

He is running about 20 seconds per but could go faster, I think. If he stopped to double check the powder charge weight once every 25 rounds (45 seconds), refill the powder hopper every 50 rounds (20 seconds) and the primer feeder every 100 rounds 60 seconds), the cyclic rate at 20 seconds per round is 180 per hour and the sustained rate is 160 per hour.

If his operation per round was 15 seconds, the cyclic rate would be 240 per hour and sustained rate 200 rounds per hour.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 9, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.03092 seconds with 8 queries