Thread: Makarov IZH-70
View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
carguychris

The primary potential red flag is the rear sight. Most of the commercially imported IJ-70 or IJH-70 Maks came with an adjustable rear sight to meet 1968 GCA legal import criteria. This sight is fragile and prone to damage if the pistol is dropped. Also, on the pistols I've handled, IMHO the front sight blade and rear sight notch were too narrow to be appropriate on a defensive firearm. If I had one, I would widen the rear sight notch with a file, but maybe that's just me.

Other than the sights, these pistols are pretty much bombproof.

Be aware that two basic versions of the pistol were sold- a standard variant with an 8rd single-stack mag, and a wide-grip high-capacity variant with either a 12rd or 10rd double-stack mag, depending on whether the 1994 AWB was in force when the mag was made. The double-stack mag is a peculiar 2-into-1 design that merges into a single column at the top. Single-stack mags supposedly work in the double-stack pistols, but not vice versa. All single-stack Mak mags are basically identical- 9x18mm or .380ACP, commercial or military, it doesn't matter- and they're cheap and plentiful. However, spare double-stack mags are supposedly quite difficult to find, particularly the 12-rounders. IOW if the pistol is double-stack, the number of mags should be taken into account when assessing the price.

Under normal market conditions, IMHO $269 is a slightly high but not outrageous price for a standard single-stack commercial Makarov, and about the normal going rate for a double-stack; however, in the current market, all bets are off.

Page generated in 0.03686 seconds with 8 queries