View Single Post
Old June 28, 2011, 03:52 PM   #19
F. Guffey

"... I see that I may have to buy the comp shellholder set too"

A member of another forum did just that, he purchased the Redding Competition shell holder set, the experience almost locked him up, I had suggested he purchase a feeler gage for $11.95 to use as a companion tool tool his press, I tried to explain to him Redding does not make shell holder for short chambers meaning the competition shell holders are designed to be used to off set the effect of head space in the chamber when the case is fired, am impossible concept for most reloaders to grasp.

Again, the feeler gage can be used to size cases from -.012 thousands (short chamber) under a minimum length/full length sized case to + infinity. I was at the Big Town Mesquite gun show last month when I found a #6 set for magnums, $5.00 dollars, of the 5 shell holders 3 were off by .001 each, for me, no problem, the feeler gage turns my standard RCBS shell holder into a competition shell holder from .000 to .010, that is 10 options for the same price of the feeler gage, the Competition shell holder set cost about $40.00.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02292 seconds with 8 queries