View Single Post
Old June 26, 2011, 11:35 PM   #13
F. Guffey

(yes they are trimmed at or below spec., and they eject without any unusual labor)

Savage .204 ruger VLP bolt (appx 1,000 rounds)
Nosler brass
7x fired, neck sized after each firing (therefore 7x sized)
Brass weigtht is 99.3 - 100.4 gn within 50 pcs, at initial weigh-in (after 1st firing), and consistent through all firings (@ 99.4 -100.6gn, I'm associating that to burn powder residue that stays after tumbling)
VLD chamfered
no flashole prep
No trimming at all, 1.838" +/- .002"
Fed small BR primer

The 204 case length could be 1.850, yours are 1.838, and the case has not lost weight, trimming a case during 7 firings could result in weight loss, I would not think a cake build-up would off set the loss, I do not know, then there is the hammering effect, compression or yield of brass, again I do not know but it seems you have that workout also.\\There are a few actions that jump apart and then snap back together, the first one that comes to mind is the British type 303 then there are brake overs then there is this firing a case 7 times then return it to start over condition by full length sizing, I do not know about that one either, the one I do know about is the one where the case grabs the chamber and locks onto it with the head of the case not resting on the bolt face, with the case body locked and the head of the case jamming itself against the bolt face and in order to do that something has to give, if any of that is true and there is no recovery, memory or spring back, the head of the case could be causing the case to wedge between the head of the bolt and chamber body, but without knowing the diameter of the case head and diameter there is no way to determine.

Your cases are not loosing weight due to trimming, your cases are not getting longer, seems you have it under control, not me, after firing a case 6 times it has been fired 6 times and, I find it impossible to start over, my cases get hammered, my cases yield, most of them have no memory of what they were before I fired them.

Steady or stable?

F Guffey

Page generated in 0.03252 seconds with 8 queries