View Single Post
Old April 15, 2018, 10:01 AM   #26
Reloadron

When the SKS rifles began to pour into the US during the early 90s dealers were paying about $60 or less for them in lots of ten or more. My wife and I bought and sold hundreds of them. The early imports were actually original Chi-Com surplus which China was unloading. There are countless websites and forums dedicated to the SKS Rifle. Most of the early Chinese surplus guns were NORINCO manufactured.
From our friends at WIKI:
Quote:
The China Ordnance Industries Group Corporation Limited (Chinese: 中国兵器工业集团有限公司), also known as China North Industries Group Corporation Limited (Chinese: 中国北方工业集团有限公司), officially abbreviated as Norinco, is a Chinese defense corporation that manufactures a diverse range of civil and military products, including light and armored vehicles, tanks, aircraft, UAVs, artillery, fuel air bombs, precision strike systems, missiles, air defence and anti-missile systems, air-launched weapons, amphibious assault weapons and equipment, night vision products, long-range suppression weapon systems, machinery, radar, optical-electronic products, engineering equipment, oil field equipment, chemicals, light industrial products, explosives and blast materials, infantry equipment, high-effect destruction systems, anti-riot equipment, civil and military firearms and ammunition. It is also involved in domestic civil construction and military defense projects.
While the early guns were GI and were to the original Russian design once the Chinese discovered they were into a good thing they began new manufacture versions for export. The early guns were packed in cosmoline the latter had an oily film. The early guns had a full barrel to receiver lug with a screwed in barrel and the latter a pinned barrel. Any reputable SKS rifle website will have a wealth of information about the rifle and all of the versions and manufacturers who produced them. There were also large numbers of Russian and Yugoslavian guns imported. During their heyday you could buy as many modifications and gizmos for an SKS as you could for a Ruger 10/22.

Overall they were a great little rifle for the buck. The ammunition could be had for under ten cents a round. A 1200 round case was about $100. They shoot fine for what they were and are reliable, at least all the ones I played around with were. I kept one just to have.

The above image is mine and linked to my own domain.

They have really increased in price over the years. I see them in gun shops in the $400 to $500 range depending on make and manufacturer. If someone can snag one at a good price and they want a low recoil and reliable little 7.62 X 39 chambered rifle then buy one. The Russian guns had real nice laminated wood stocks. My overall experience with the guns was they all functioned fine regardless of who made them or where they were made.

Ron

Page generated in 0.03499 seconds with 8 queries