View Single Post
Old September 28, 2000, 01:06 PM   #11
Bubba

Interesting comment racine. I sure don't want to get into or start another IDPA/IPSC/PPC war again. As shooters we need to be standing together, not fighting amoungst ourselves.

I do think that your comment goes both ways. For every non-friendly IDPA experience you may have had, there are others that have had the same number of problems with IPSC shooters. I would suggest that we don't get into one sport is better than another because of the "people" involved. It will be different everywhere you go.

You did touch on a couple of differences that ARE worth discussing. Yes, IDPA is based on being tactical. And IPSC is based on shooting a whole lot more rounds in a match. There IS a school of thought that under stress, you will revert to your training. I have certainly seen this in my own shooting. So I choose not to practice any shooting that might cause me to make a mistake if I ever (heaven forbid) get into a situation where I was FORCED to use my handgun for self defense. That is one of the reasons I shoot IDPA. I practice shooting with as much of my body behind cover as I can get there and still hit the target. I make sure I get my hits. I practice good sound defensive tactics even though it may cost me extra time in a match. The IPSC shooters that visit with us (and they are welcome) seem to want to stand in an open door way and blaze away. I learned the hard way about doing that by takeing a few "simunitions" hits. Now very little of me tends to be exposed. The IPSC guys of whom I have known, tended to be a bit arogant if I was not shooting the latest and greatest version of whatever the hot equipment of the day happen to be. We tend to shoot what we carry everyday.

You did make a comment with which I DO tend to agree. The IPSC crowd WILL push you to shoot faster. I still practice with an IPSC master once a year. Three days with him pushing me and my times are indeed better. But I tend to be dropping a few more shots.

In my case, the IDPA people I shoot with are some of the friendliest, most helpful people I have ever met. I can honestly say some of my best friends in this world are people I have met shooting IDPA. At least the people I shoot with are very much in tune with helping new shooters. We make sure every new shooter that joins us is taken under the wing of an experienced "old hand". Not to "Show them how it's done" but to make sure they are #1 Safe, #2 know the rules and #3 Have a great time shooting with us.

As far as teaching you to shoot this way or that way, again, I think that varies in different areas of the world. Our group tends to do a lot of teaching as well.

Again, I am NOT trying to make this into an IDPA is better than IPSC thread. Just wanted to present a "different" perspective from your comments.

DVC

Bubba

Page generated in 0.03237 seconds with 8 queries