View Single Post
Old February 6, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Did you take it fully apart and give it a good run through? Did you just remove the bolt? Not remove the bolt and left it held open? Or did you take it straight from the box and start putting rounds through it?
Definitely break it down,clean it, and lube it. My stainless Mark III came from the Ruger factory as dry as a bone. Seriously - not a drop of lube or preservative grease. It was so tight I could barely pull the bolt back.

Quote:
I was just concerned about taking apart the barrel and receiver as I've heard taking it fully apart like that isn't always necessary and can actually loosen (damage) it over time, taking that with a grain of salt though.
You should never separate the barrel from the upper receiver when cleaning the pistol. I don't know why anyone would ever do this unless they are a gunsmith and are replacing the barrel.

Doing a full field strip as detailed in the instruction manual (which means separating the upper receiver/barrel from the lower receiver) is perfectly harmless and not difficult at all, provided you follow the instructions in the manual. The pistol will loosen a little over time (aka break-in), and that is perfectly harmless, normal, and desirable, as it means the pistol will operate more smoothly and become easier to take apart when desired.

Page generated in 0.02266 seconds with 8 queries