View Single Post
Old December 23, 2011, 03:50 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Because the two cartridges produce much different muzzle velocities, I suspect that hunting and varmint bullets marketed for the 6.8 may be more easily expanded/exploded than those marketed for the .270. So, using a 6.8 hunting bullet in a .270 MIGHT turn it into a varmnt bullet, and fail to put-down a large game animal.
For many bullets it's simply a weight range thing.
Light bullets get labeled as "6.8".
Heavier (or "standard") bullets get labeled as ".270".

As a long time .270 Winchester shooter, I watched the marketing change, when 6.8 SPC started gaining popularity. Where we used to have about a dozen varmint and/or light big game bullets labeled ".270"; we slowly started getting labels that read "6.8" instead.

My favorite .277" varmint bullet is the 100 gr Speer Hollow Point. It has been around for 25+ years. Even while the 6.8 SPC was gaining momentum, the bullet retained its ".270" label. Retailers were able to keep a supply on their shelves, and sold only a few more boxes than in the past. Then, Speer changed the label. With "6.8" on the box, those 100 gr HPs started flying off the shelves, like never before. Almost overnight, my beloved 100 gr HP became hard to find, and the 6.8 junkies think it is "their bullet" now. Ignorance is bliss, I guess....

But, as LSnSC pointed out, there are now quite a few bullets on the market that were designed specifically for the 6.8 SPC. Barnes and Hornady are the leaders, in this regard.

So, 6.8 junkies, give my 100 gr Speer HPs back.

Page generated in 0.02138 seconds with 8 queries