View Single Post
Old September 16, 2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Ike666

First, thanks for all the suggestions and guidance - it was most helpful. I cleaned it and set it up this morning and tested some fireformed LC cases in it. They were all fired out of my Rem 700 PSS.

The first thing I noticed is that when I tested a bullet (168 gn Hndy HPBT Match) in the casemouth - it was still a tight fit. In fact so tight I couldn't force it in by hand - or when I did it couldn't get it back out without a puller. I think this is a good thing. I'm assuming it means the chamber on the weapon is real tight. This is still before neck sizing. Both the video tutorials I watched showed the bullet slipping in and out of the case easily. Is it a problem that these cases are so tight? Is it because of the thicker wall on the LC brass?

I tried it on a piece of RP brass and the bullet slipped more easily in and out.

For both pieces, the OD of the casemouth was 0.335 (not 0.343) after sizing. I realize this is only .008" but wanted check that it is within tolerances.

Both seated the bullet without shaving copper off. They both fit is a case gauge and appear to be spot-on.

Is it really this easy to neck size? I have the uneasy feeling that I'm missing something. It takes very little pressure on the rock chucker and I stroke to the vertical, just before cam over. Went too far once but there were no apparent ill consequences to the brass or the die.

I don't have the equipment yet to check runout but that's next.

Page generated in 0.02521 seconds with 8 queries