View Single Post
Old May 16, 2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Slopemeno

I have, and a shotgun with standard pressure ammo is always easier to take than most handgun rounds. I'd be interested to compare some of the reduced recoil buckshot thats now out there with just about any handgun round. Shotguns use much lower pressure to move the shot down the barrel.

When I was a smith we worked in an industrial park, and constantly had to test fire different guns, so we made up a "test-fire-tube" which was a piece of appx 9" well casing about 10' long, half filled with gravel, and sporting a "balance-tube" to give the gas somewhere to go. We were department armorers for about a dozen state and local agencies, and we conducted yearly safety/test fire inspections for those agencies, on top of our civilian customers work. I've heard everything from .22 shorts on the low end to .458Win on the high end of things...

Relatively easy on the ears: Standard pressure .41 mag ammo, .44spl, .45 acp. 12/16/20 gauge trap loads. .38 special target wadcutters in a 6" k-38, MP-5 SD in 9mm- like a sewing machine...

Kinda hard on the ol ears: .38 spl, 9mm, .223 in 20" format, ,45 acp comp guns, .30-'06 class stuff. 12 gauge goose loads or magnum buckshot.

Please-sound-off-before-you-do-that-again: .223 in an 11" barrel. .38 super comp guns, .44 mag, .357 125 grain, .300 win mag, .458, etc. Would someone call my audiologist please...hey look, dust is falling from the rafters.

12 gauge, in your average 20" HD gun, puts the lower pressure muzzle blast futher from your ears than a handgun. If you couple that with the long guns better human engineering (two hands and a cheekweld for indexing) your much better off when tired/confused/scared/rushed.

Someone should find all the home defense articles that involve a shotgun being used and figure out the round count. I bet its very, very low. From my exposure to the departments I serviced, I never saw one go beyond one shot- not saying it didnt happen, but the three I can remember off hand were 1 shot stops.

Page generated in 0.02669 seconds with 8 queries