View Single Post
Old April 3, 2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Edward429451

I use candle wax for flux always have. Never a shortage of candle stubs. When the lead is melted, even before you skim off the WW clips, toss in a small chunk of wax and usually it bursts into flames by itself from the heat & fire (which is good b/c it keeps it from smoking a lot, but it can be ignited with a match etc too) and immediately begin stirring with the dipper, taking care to stir a little air into the mixture with the scoop. Dunno why, but I've always heard to do that and just do it.

Then the lead mixture will take on a mirror finish and the dirt can be skimmed off. Reflux whenever it looks like it needs it.

Print shops that use the older type equipment that uses antimony generate scrap antimony. I used to know a guy with a print shop, but he closed it so no more free antimony for me.

If you decide to try quenching the bullets into water as I suggested, careful. A drop of water in a pot of molten lead will cause a small explosion of lead that will empty the pot from the rapid expansion. And wear gloves and long sleeves, molten lead is much more dangerous than cold lead b/c it will absorb right through your skin.

Good casting!

Page generated in 0.03192 seconds with 8 queries