Thread: Excam TA-90
View Single Post
Old September 1, 2018, 06:05 PM   #19
DixonCreekDrifter

which gun to carry?

I chose this thread because it has shown favor to the Tanfoglio TA90. Yes it is 2037 days old thread, but I believe the TA 90 is as good as any new pistol and better than many. I picked mine up in a pawn shop for 225$ then bought and use new mags that a web site pointed out as compatible. Read the post and see if you can guess which one I shot the test with.

For me deciding to become a CHL holder was an easy decision. The class was given by a friend who has a background as a peace officer, a career as an engineer, a Christian family life and a parent of three daughters. The hard part was deciding which pistol to learn to carry. There are many U-tube videos claiming to highlight the top ten or greatest concealed carry handguns each with their own winner and agenda. Trouble is I do not own all of the winners nor am I able or willing to buy the next latest greatest gun. I am a firm believer in being able to use the gun in reach and not need to use the nearest piece to fight my way back to my principal weapon.
To help me decide, I developed a short list of 6 different pistols that I currently own to evaluate for concealed carry. Some of this will be subjective and some will be objective. The six pistols are:
1. Browning High Power 40 S&W
2. Browning BDA .380 ACP
3. S&W model 66 .357 mag
4. S&W model 36 .38 special
5. Tanfoglio TA90 9mm
6. Ruger Single Six Vaquero birdshead .32 H&R Mag

Round capacity
1. Tanfoglio TA90 9mm
2. Browning BDA .380 ACP
3. Browning High Power 40 S&W
4. Revolvers

Grip promotes my instinctive pointing
1. Browning High Power 40 S&W
2. S&W model 66 .357 mag with aftermarket grips
3. Tanfoglio TA90 9mm
4. S&W model 36 .38 special with aftermarket grips
5. Browning BDA .380 ACP
6. Ruger Single Six Vaquero birdshead .32 H&R Mag

Ease of reload.
1. Browning High Power 40 S&W larger magwell and drops mags when released
2. Browning BDA .380 ACP adequate magwell and drops mags when released.
3. Tanfoglio TA90 9mm adequate magwell but does not drop mags when released.
4. S&W model 66 .357 mag with speed loaders
5. S&W model 36 .38 special with speed loader
6. S&W model 36 .38 special with reloader strips
7. Ruger Single Six Vaquero birdshead .32 H&R Mag

Ease of focusing on front sight with both eyes open
1. Gold bead on BHP
2. Red insert on S&W 66
3. Black post on TA90
4. Blade on Ruger Vaquero Large enough to see, but stainless has some glare.
5. Blade on S&W 36 Could benefit from a little paint on the blade.
6. Blade on BDA .380 Could benefit from a little paint on the blade.

Most capable of stopping on first shoot. Argue all you want, but 1 & 2 are close and could be equal if the right bullet is used. Same for the .38 special and 9 mm. But surely the 32 mag is more capable than the .380 acp.
1. .357 magnum
2. .40 S&W
3. .38 special
4. 9mm
5. 32 H&R mag
6. .380 acp

Concealability. Consider that the holster I select is on me. It must not print and will hold the weapon securely until released and then should draw without snagging.
1. S&W model 36
2. Browning BDA
3. Ruger Single Six Vaquero birdshead
4. Browning High Power
5. Tanfoglio TA90
6. S&W model 66

Results of range session, 10 rounds were fired at 7 yards and 15 yards each with the exception of the BDA which broke an extractor on the first shot at 15 yards. At seven yards the BDA had 6 X’s, 3 nines and one 8. The target available at the range is the Official Police Qualification Silhouette B27FSA Green Target and not the Texas Concealed Handgun License B-27 Training Target Color: Green Size so the scoring is X, 10, 9, and 8. Line cutters are given the higher points. You or I could probably shot better on a given day, but this is what I shot at the range on 7/28/2018.
………………………….pt/rounds ..% in ten ring
S&W 36......………... 8.92...…….37.50
9mm...….. ………….. 9.50...…...55.00
32 H&R Mag...…….. 9.76...…….76.47
40 S&W...……………. 8.91...…...36.36

Other handguns I own but did not make the short list are
1. Kimber 45 acp
2. Colt Delta Elite 10mm
3. S&W model 57
4. H&R model 999
5. New Vaquero 45 Colt, CAS guns (3)
6. A new in box BHP 40 S&W

Bottom line. Given the data above and list above, which handgun should I select to train with and what modifications need to be made. I have shot IPDA with a Delta Elite 10 mm in the 1980’s and carried a S&W model 66 when on duty in the late 70’s and early 80’s before switching to an auto at the request of the city. Times and reasons to carry have changed and I look to the forum to suggest which of the six I should make into my “goto” carry gun.

Last edited by DixonCreekDrifter; September 1, 2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: align data

Page generated in 0.03106 seconds with 8 queries