View Single Post
Old February 11, 2015, 04:46 PM   #89
OldMarksman
Staff

I finally took the time to watch the Ron Avery video linked in Post 64.

It is excellent, and it is essentially the same thing that is presented in Combat Focus Shooting (aka Dynamic Focus Shooting) training.

I recommend CFS training.

I will add one thing. Moving "off line" to avoid getting hit may be an excellent tactic, but in a real world situation, there is another very compelling treason to start moving before drawing. That has to do with getting a clear shot that will not endanger persons in the foreground; setting up a direction of fire that will not endanger innocents in the background; and if possible, to enable shooting at a backstop.

I did just that some years ago when I interrupted an obvious robbery in a grocery store. Improvised, I should say--I had never thought about it before, and I had not yet taken the CFS training.

Fortunately, the gun never had to come out. I spooked the man, and he took off--fast.

I learned something about adrenalin that day. I could not describe the man, the getaway car, or the driver afterward, though I had seen them, looked at them, and focussed on them enough to comprehend the situation.

I had noted the car and driver before entering the store. A smart person would not have entered at all.

I had never thought before about people who practice drawing without moving, but I do recall seeing someone doing that with a timer late last year. At the time I assumed that he had his reasons, but upon reflection, I now think it more likely that he was simply one of the persons that zombie has been describing.

The reason that I have long assumed that I would start moving fast before drawing is that I really wold like something like a car door or my car between me and a charging assailant with a contact weapon.

Page generated in 0.02489 seconds with 8 queries