View Single Post
Old March 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #14
hounddawg

Quote:

For solution, I just use water with a bit of ammonia (some people use citric acid, so I've heard). Doesn't shine them all pretty, but it cleans them well enough.
might want to rethink the ammonia and a use a bit of vinegar and detergent instead

Quote:
Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking, especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridge cases used for rifle ammunition during the 1920s in the Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, so initiating brittle cracks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

I even skipped the ultrasonic. I just wash mine now with lukewarm water. The cases seem to come out clean and if I use the vinegar shiny as any I ever tumbled using walnut media and car polish, cleaner actually since the wet method seems to clean the interior better

Page generated in 0.02839 seconds with 8 queries