View Single Post
Old August 22, 2017, 12:42 PM   #46
Lohman446

Quote:
Strange how nobody seems to post their failures with .22 caliber rounds on medium sized game. I have no doubt a lot of deer have been wounded and lost with those rounds, and telling everyone to become "expert" with it, I wouldn't consider the best approach. I would never even consider a .223 for deer hunting...and I doubt a lot of serious hunters wouldn't either
There is a bit of fallacy implied here in that it implies that the larger caliber would overcome the circumstances of the failed or faulty recover.

In the vast majority of cases a bad shot is a bad shot and more power is not going to solve the issue. When I was young I wounded and failed to recover a large buck from about 30 yards with a 30-30 because I did not take the time to line up the shot. Before I learned I did the same with a .270. Yes they were errors in my judgement and ability to stay calm. In both cases a well placed shot with a .22 (probably even a rimfire) would have been far more effective.

If we are throwing out the theoretical as argument, such as medium game animals not cleanly dispatched with a certain cartridge that would have been cleanly dispatched with a larger / more powerful cartridge, can I conversely argue that poor shots that could result in a less than ideal dispatching of a game animal are increased by recoil sensitivity due to too large of a cartridge that prevents a shooter from being as comfortable with a rifle as he or she should be?

I mean if we are going with the "I wonder..." portion of it I could probably argue the later are just as common as the former.

Last edited by Lohman446; August 22, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.02158 seconds with 8 queries