View Single Post
Old July 11, 2013, 03:57 PM   #284
ClydeFrog

Politics; Seminole County FL, legal precedent

I think a few TFLers outside of central Florida do not really know & understand the political make-up of Seminole County(Sanford) Florida.
Seminole County is one of the smallest by size(square miles) & by population(residents & families not daytime population).
The county has one of the higher tax bases in the state of Florida. Due mostly to Longwood, Heathrow, Lake Mary, & Altamonte Springs.
These upscale communities are mostly gated & the county is mostly upper-middle class/upper-class.
Sanford(the county seat) does have a few "bad" areas & some violent crime but its mostly; "red on red"(a LE term for bad guys against other bad guys).

I do not feel Judge Nelson has a lot of political heat for any civil rights issues or anti-gun(gun control) activists. She seems fair for the most part.
I do take away that she gives defense atty; West no quarter for his whining & complaints.
I'll close with saying that from the start(02/2012), the state atty; Norm Wolfinger did not want to charge GZ. He's an elected official too.
A legal precedent was set, I feel, by a 2005 incident where 2 Sanford Florida security officers(armed & on post) shot at & killed a black male that was driving a vehicle at them. There was a huge media & civil rights out-cry after the incident. The State Atty's Office caved into the pressure, then charged the G officers. One security guard had all his criminal charges cut, the other guard went to court & was cleared.

Civil rights activists have a right to protest but the public must understand all the factors that go into a prosecution or criminal investigation.
A DA or State Atty isn't going to waste time & $$$ on a case that can't win.

Page generated in 0.03282 seconds with 8 queries