View Single Post
Old August 16, 2012, 03:48 PM   #32
603Country

This has been interesting reading. I didn't know the answer, so I hoped that ya'll would come up with one. What I have read over the years, and what I have come to believe (right or wrong) is that a flat base or a boat tail, if constructed equally well, will shoot equally well. However, it seems that a flat base bullet that has a perfect (or nearly perfect base) is easier to produce than a boat tailed bullet with a perfectly tapered base. Because of that, it's more likely that a flat based bullet will leave the muzzle 'squarely', whereas a boat tailed bullet with a less perfect base (or boat tail) will be slightly more inclined to leave the muzzle less than squarely due to unequal gas pressure acting on the imperfect boat tail as the gas and bullet escape the muzzle.

More than likely, today's bullet production quality allows for more perfectly shaped boat tails than in previous years and previous decades, so maybe this is no longer an issue. If so, they should shoot equally well in properly crowned barrels.

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries