View Single Post
Old April 20, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5
tulsamal

I faced this issue with my RRA M4. Fixed tower front sight. Put an ATN 5x on the flat top using the mounts that came with the scope. I shot it quite a bit at the range with minimal problems. I could see a darkening at the bottom of the scope image where the sight was but it didn't seem significant to me.

But then one day I was out walking my creek and shooting vermin. Standing on a railroad trestle bridge and aiming downward. And some shots I could barely use the scope at all. It seems that the back of the tower was catching the super bright sunlight that day and reflecting it back towards me. I was getting a tremendous amount of glare all over the bottom of the image. I was very unhappy.

Short term solution, I got a riser mount with thumb screws. Attach the scope rings to the riser and then it is quick and easy to put it on or take it off. The extra height seemed to make the tower mostly out of my field of view. I've used it that way (when I wanted to use a scope) for a couple of years but I just recently decided enough was enough. I had my gunsmith remove the fake FS from the muzzle and do a proper threading for a real FS. He removed the tower front sight and replaced it with a Brownell's gas block with a rail on the top and places to put more rails on the sides and bottom. Then I got a Brownell's folding front sight and put it on the new gas block. You fold down that front sight and you can mount the scope just as low as you want with no issues at all. That's the best solution!

Gregg

Page generated in 0.03124 seconds with 8 queries