View Single Post
Old March 24, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
F. Guffey

I am a case former, I form cases then fire, after firing a formed case I eject once fired cases. The example given: Forming 30/06 to 35 Whelan is necking up, there is nothing about the case body that changes, the change is between the case body/shoulder juncture and the shoulder/neck juncture, meaning? the neck gets longer and the case length gets shorter. Then there is that magic number when necking 30/06 cases up to 35 Whelen. the case shortens .035”. (Meaning) Using 30/06 cases for 35 Whelen and or 338/06 cases is a bad habit if the purpose of the case is to cover the chamber, I want the case to cover the chamber, I want the case to cover all the chamber possible.

When forming cases for chambers I choose the longest case available, I have no reservations about purchasing once fired cases from a range, when purchasing cases from a range I want the cases that have been fired in the trashiest of chambers, when forming cases I want cases with additional length between the shoulder of the case to the head of the case.

Protrusion, I am the fan of protrusion, when sorting cases with the Wilson case gage I want protrusion, someone had to fire the case to get the shoulder flattened against the chamber (FIRST!) and a new shoulder formed forward of the old shoulder. I am not the fan of unnecessary sizing, once the shoulder is formed of the old shoulder I apply the ‘leaver policy’ I leaver where I formed-er. To be a case former the reloader must know the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber back to the bolt face. After determining the length of the chamber from the shoulder back to the bolt face it is a matter of transferring that measurement to the press, die and shell holder, again, moving the shoulder back is the easy part, knowing when to stop ‘bumping? is the difficult part.

I choose to use 280 Remington cases when forming 35 Whelen and 338/06 cases to determine the length of the chamber. The bolt of a 35 Whelen and or 338/06 rifle will not close on a 280 Remington case, the 280 Remington case is longer by .051” from the shoulder of the case back to the head of the case than the 35 Whelen and or 338/06 case. What does this mean? For the fire former? That is a lot of guessing, for the case former it is a matter of adjusting the die off the shell holder ..045” to size a case that will JUST allow the bolt to close if the chamber is go-gage length with a slight amount of resistance.

Greasing my bullets? I want nothing between the case and chamber but air, I want air between the case and chamber, not a lot of air, just a little, I would be most pleased with .0005” worth, again, I want nothing but air, I want clean air, I do not want dirt, grit and or grime with the air, I know, the case is embeddable but when my case fills the chamber I want 100% contact, nothing holds and or stops better than 100% contact so I do not want ridges or cross hatches, again, I am the fan of 100% contact between the case and chamber. And, I d I do not have a lot of air between the case and chamber the amount of time for the air to exit (get out of the way) time as a factor is reduced.

I know, bench resters, they do wonders with full length sizing, difference??? The difference between the length of their chambers from the shoulder to the bolt face when compared with the length of the case from the shoulder of the case to the head of the case is ‘NOT VERY MUCH! when compared to the chamber I load for. AGAIN, I know, I have rifles that shoot magnificent groups with new ammo and or my reloads, if it was about full length sizing and or new ammo all of my rifles would shoot magnificent groups. Unlike others I have rifles that do not like anything.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02485 seconds with 8 queries