View Single Post
Old September 7, 2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Gbro

Good link to black bear colors,

The most definitive identifier of the brown bear seen in the wild is the hump on the shoulders.

This white phase bear we saw at the bear sanctuary in 1998.

Quote:
Halo was last sighted in May 1998. In 1999, the Minnesota Division of Natural Resources passed a permanent regulation protecting all white-phased black bears from hunting. It is the hope of many people, that the rare genetic pool will be perpetuated and Minnesota will someday host a population of these extraordinary white bears.
There is thought that Halo phased back to a darker color.
In late august there can be upwards of 65 bear's at the sanctuary. Some are so fat that their belly drags the ground. The website seems to not show any of those except for maybe this one.
I had 3 grandchildren there under 4 years of age at the time Halo was seen there. There were about 20 photographer there trying to get a shot of Halo with there big cameras, My 3 cubs caused them some indigestion, The staff thought they should act like they were in church, and told me that the boys were making the bears nervous.
I had to disagree and offered that all the photographers were the nervous ones.

Last edited by Gbro; September 7, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.02273 seconds with 8 queries