View Single Post
Old June 11, 2014, 07:18 PM   #16
Sharkbite

PCC have their place

Theohazard is absolutly correct. A light weight varmint or dedicated defensive round out of a 14" or longer barrel penetrates far less building material then a pistol round

As the barrel gets shorter and velocity drops the bullets tend to hold together better and start to over penetrate. Not to mention the loss of terminal effectiveness.

Thats why the 300 blackout round has become so popular in the short barrel guns. Its less dependent on super high velocity for effectiveness

I was going that way but didnt get the desired noise reduction with a supressor and supersonic loading or the terminal ballistics i wanted out of sub sonic loadings

So, im building a 9mm AR and will run a can on it. Very quite, even indoors. A good 9mm SD round will only get better out of the 10.5" barrel on this gun. Easier to hit with then a pistol down long hallways. High mass for the caliber makes follow up shots easy. Large mag capacity (32 rds) means i can be generous in lead dosage

Even for someone that trains religiously, handguns are HARD to shoot under stress. The avg homeowner DOES NOT practice and train anywhere near the levels to be unconsciously competent under stress

A pistol caliber carbine is a much easier weapon to actually use.

Back in the day, a bunch of us instructors were messing around with the Front Sight Handgun Combat Masters test after a day of subgun training. I decided to shoot the Handgun Masters test with a Uzi (think pistol cal carbine). A test that is HARD with a handgun was EASY to shoot CLEAN with the PCC. Maybe not the end all test but it showed emphatically how much easier it is to shoot at SD distances with a PCC

Page generated in 0.03838 seconds with 8 queries