View Single Post
Old February 25, 2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Bill Akins

Couple of other things Hylander.

There are several areas where fouling can get down into your internal action on your Remy. One is where fouling can get down into the opening where the hammer is. Another, but more limited space it can get through, is the opening for your bolt. Another is the slot for your cylinder hand/pawl. If you use gun oil or sewing machine oil, this fouling immediately sticks to that oil and makes the oil more a sludge and less lubricating. So I use a dry teflon spray lubricant (available at home depot) on my internals that the fouling won't stick to. The liquid carrier carries the teflon in the spray, but then the carrier dries up and just leaves a dry teflon coating that fouling won't stick to. Make sure you get the blue can that says..."Dupont, Teflon, Multi-use, Dry, Wax lubricant".

As Wogpotter pointed out, first try lessening your hammer's mainspring to see if that gives the trigger pull you want before you use the toothpaste foot powder or another fine grit polishing mix to polish the trigger to hammer sear surfaces in place like I described earlier.

Also, let me know how my toothpaste and foot powder mix works for you in polishing your trigger to hammer sear engagements and how well it lightens your trigger pull for you. I know it works for me. Foot powder/baby powder, is Talc (magnesium silicate) and along with the slightly coarser toothpaste grit, acts as a very fine polishing material for the in place trigger to hammer sear polishing I have described previously.

Just remember to press forward firmly on your cocked hammer at the same time as you repeatedly pull the trigger to force the surfaces to tightly hone against each other with the fine grit mix inside the revolver.

I finished doing my toothpaste & footpowder mix honing tonight. My trigger isn't exactly a hair trigger, but it is a very nice light pull now. I must have firmly pushed the hammer forward and pulled the trigger at the same time probably over 200 times, maybe 300, including last night and today and this evening. It takes time but I am very pleased with my results. Your thumb does get tired! I just washed all the mix out of my Remy and am putting it back together and lubing it with Teflon spray right after this post.
Now my trigger is just like I want it. Let me know how yours turns out Hylander.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 26, 2011 at 04:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries