View Single Post
Old January 27, 2021, 08:29 PM   #12
Scorch

My dad was an engineer on the Alaska pipline about 1975-1978. I remember him telling me of how the Alaska fish & game people used to remove bears who had become a problem (usually due to the good intentions of pipeline workers feeding them leftovers or the bears scavenging leftover lunches in work areas). They had one youngish male, about 500 lbs, who decided he didn't have to wait for the lunch scraps to be offered, he would go take them. Next morning, a Alaska warden showed up, spotted the bear, opened up his truch and took out a 458 and leveled that young rascal. No messing around. Another incident, this one a customer of mine who guided for a well-known outfitter in AK, a bear casually strolling along the riverbank decided that he wanted the fish some of the fishermen had in their possession and postured, huffed a few times, then charged, promptly getting leveled with a 416 Wby. So, if you find yourself being eyed by a large fuzzy, think along the same lines. Hard hitting, large-ish caliber rifles work best. People who tell you a shotgun with slugs is best, well maybe, but I want somewhere north of the 2,500 ft/lbs a slug packs. Portability being important, there are a lot of short lever rifles in calibers starting with a 4, short-barreled rifles with bores starting about .375" up to .50".

And then there's my friend who lived and hunted and fished in AK for 23 years. He would just throw them a salmon and leave. And he's in his 70s now, so it must have worked.

Page generated in 0.02396 seconds with 8 queries