View Single Post
Old January 27, 2021, 01:42 AM   #2
bamaranger

slugs

I will only comment on 12 ga slugs in general. The typical, over the counter, common, Foster/ deer 12 ga slug is extremely soft. I have seen them fail to exit on close range, cross body shots on very typical whitetail deer weighing not much over 100 lbs. The slug tends to flatten on impact, and the thin skirt folds forward, and the resulting recovered projectile sort of resembles a silver dollar.

It is my understanding that the preferred slug for dangerous bears is the Brenneke, and they actually sell a dangerous game slug, as well as a line of tactical slugs, that are made with a harder lead alloy then the soft, generic Fosters. I am familiar with a US Park Ranger who was a bear guard on an oil spill clean up in AK, and another who worked AK seasonally for a few years. Both were issued Brenneke slugs for their agency supplied Rem 870's.

As a contrast and an aside, I read somewhere of a rather noted grizzly hunter who allegedly used an M-1 Garand (cal. 30-06 of course) and heavy (200-220 grain) bullets as his primary bear gun. Those heavy slugs would play hobb with the Garand's operating rod, but 8 rds of heavy '06 ammo in a combat rugged semi rifle (and a bayonet ) would be rather comforting if you didn't mind carrying the darn thing.

A noted grizzly guide, Phil Shoemaker, carried a bobbed .458 Win mag on a Mauser action for a number of years. He also carried big bore lever rifles in 45-70 ( and other calibers I think) and seems I read an article where he experimented with an carbine AR in .450 Bushmaser too. Shoemaker published several magazine articles on his bear rifles, one might search that a bit to read what someone who has actually "been there and done it" has to say.

The big bears are a fearsome thing, and they still kill or maim a few people every year.

Page generated in 0.02701 seconds with 8 queries