View Single Post
Old March 20, 2023, 12:12 AM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Another point to consider is that on a site like Gunbroker, you are literally in a bidding war against the entire world.

Generally speaking only the older (usually the "mom & pop" type places) gunshops would have the older uncommon stuff, once in a while, and newer places, more focused on SALES than gun service don't want the odd, rare, or antique stuff, because it "doesn't move", and having something sit on their shelf for months or even years "costs them money", and often it is those shops putting things on gun broker.

In "ancient times" we would look for the unusual stuff at gun shows, which was somewhere the people that had them brought them out to be seen, and often sold. Anti gun hysteria was working hard to kill gun shows, and was being successful, but it was the COVID panicdemic that essentially closed the lid and nailed it shut....

They've gone away, probably for good in my part of the country. The people who used to run them quit after they were forced to shut down, venues that used to host them no longer will, and frankly the people who used to exhibit and trade can't anymore, and even if they could, there's no longer any profit in it, and damn little fun anymore.

GunStores having tables at shows were dominating them before things totally went to hell, and shows went away entirely.

This was also back in the days when you could show some ID, pay cash and go home with a gun without having to go cap in hand to an FFL during their business hours and pay for the privilege of having a STATE mandated background check run in order to exercise a Constitutionally enumerated right...

We OUGHT to be so much safer now, but from what I see in the news, we're worse off than before....
The death of the gun show doesn't really matter to me, gun shows near me have been FFL dominated for the last 10+ years and every FFL near me that has anything uncommon/unpopular always sells them $200 more than what I use to get things on gunbroker for. The FFL's around me are either hard into Ruger, Glock, Sig, S&W or cheap Heritage, Hi Point, and SCCY.

Very tough to get a Taurus I'm actually interested in, impossible to get ANY H&R for a price under $300, and Kel Tec I've long given up on the local FFL's to get.

Gunbroker was the only place I could escape the FFL's that overprice stuff to prey on the uninformed newbie gun buyer who has no idea what a good price is and are just panic buying.

It took until Covid for the used .40 Hi Point on had seen on the shelf of an FFL to finally disappear.

Given the economic fears going on right now we're probably on the verge of another panic buying spree.

Page generated in 0.04249 seconds with 8 queries