View Single Post
Old April 7, 2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Marco Califo

COAL is irrelevant

COAL is irrelevant. COAL is a measure of how deeply a bullet is seated; regardless of brass length.

The question you are asking is can out of spec brass cause a gun to blow up? In this caliber, 223/556 I say: No, I do not think so..

It may not be as accurate and pressures may vary, but the ammo shouldn't be dangerous to shoot. 223 brass does not stretch nearly as much as, for example, 308/7.62. In my experience, LC 223 rarely needs trimming. When you trim, you trim back to a consistent length: the trim to length. This is for consistency, and accuracy, more than for safety.

I use once fired LC 223 and do not bother to trim the first couple of loadings. I measure a few and then realize it doesn't really need it.

308 2.005 is trim to length. I do not feel a need to trim unless more than half are over 2.015 or any are over 2.020 and usually once fired military need it.

223 1.75 is trim to length. I do not feel a need to trim unless they are over 1.765 and usually once fired military do NOT need it.

Most people consider trimming to be an annoying chore. If they do need to trim, they trim past TTL by 0.005" to prolong the number of loadings until they need to trim again, if ever.

Page generated in 0.03025 seconds with 8 queries