View Single Post
Old October 10, 2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Habaz72

I'm pretty new as well but I can answer some of your questions and help you get better advice from other members.

For your 2nd question, check this chart... powder burn rates

As far as picking a powder for a cartridge you must figure out what you're looking for in the ammo you create. You may want to provide more information for the other guys to help you out... what type of shooting you're doing (hunting, plinking, range practice, bench shooting), the type of weapon you're reloading for (barrel length, AR or Bolt-action, rifling twist rate), the bullet weight you've chosen to use and the primers you have.

Certain bullet weights and rifling twist rates will help determine your powder. Shorter barreled rifles would see better results with a faster powder. You should also look for a powder that comes closest to completely filling the cartridge.

I think the more experienced hand loaders will have much more to add but I think you will hear a great many responses that you must try a few different combinations of powder, primer, bullet weight to perfectly match the application you are using your rifle for.

(edit to add: Jim243 beat me to the reply)

Page generated in 0.02213 seconds with 8 queries