View Single Post
Old September 7, 2013, 01:23 PM   #58
kymarkh

I'm walking down this same road myself - have been looking into home defense shotguns for over a year now narrowing down my choices to a select few.

I've had a Winchester 1400 since the early 90's and it serves very well for trap and in the field but I want something shorter with actual sights for home defense with buck and slugs. I've been looking real hard at the 930 SPX straight stocked model - have seen and held several at various gunshops - but have held back from purchasing each time because of things I have heard about them on the forums I frequent. Most reviews have been mixed at best so I have held back and continued to save my pennies.

Enough time has passed now for me to have saved enough to have many more choices than before. Of course not being able to find and purchase pistol ammo has had the side effect of allowing my gun fund to increase much more quickly than before! I'm currently researching the Benelli M2 Comfortech, the M4 (can you say sticker shock!), and the FN SLP. I've actually found a local range about an hour away that has the SLP available as a range rental and plan on going there this weekend to run a few boxes of 00 buck thru it to see how it fits and the controls work for me.

Yes, I have considered the 590 and the 870 Police model but I held one (870P) recently that was brand new production and it did not seem nearly as well put together as the older ones I used to shoot in the 90's. If I could find a nice 10 or 20 year old 870P locally I would be inclined to pick it up but have not seen any on the market.

Been some good observations in this thread but in the end you need to find what works best for you. My suggestion would be to find some different models of shotguns to try at the range before you plunk down your hard earned cash. Might be friends or family that can let you try theirs out. Many ranges let you rent firearms and that rental is much cheaper than owning something that doesn't work for you.

Page generated in 0.03736 seconds with 8 queries