View Single Post
Old December 27, 2009, 02:03 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Remington 11-87 problem - help!

I got a used 11-87 Special Purpose for Christmas and took it to the range today. Problem ensued immediately.

I started shooting and the gun would not cycle AT ALL. The bolt would not move rearward whatsoever. It was a single shot shotgun, for all intents and purposes.

So I took it apart. I immediately saw the problem. The gas cylinder spring was not in the correct position. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, go to the manual here and look on page 11, picture 12: http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/ ... 01187.ashx

Using a screw driver I was able to move this piece back down onto the cylinder where it was supposed to be, covering two holes. I loaded the shotgun with 5 rounds and tried again. It cycled 3 shells perfectly and then stopped cycling again. I took the gun apart again and moved the spring back where it is supposed to be again, and once again the gun cycled 3 shells and then choked.

Now looking at the manual, I see that this gun is missing the gas cylinder collar, which can be seen in the same picture linked above. Would the part not being present cause the gas cylinder spring to come loose? If not, what else would cause it?

I really hope someone can help me out on this!!!

Page generated in 0.03673 seconds with 8 queries