View Single Post
Old June 25, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Ammo Junky

What you have is a light 30-30 power level. You could use this load out to 110yd where your energy drops to 1,000 ft/lb, but not beyond. I highly recomend you use a Remington 150 round nose bullet desgined for the 30-30 and its lower velocity. If you pick a bullet desigined to expand at thoes velocities you should have a solid 100yd load. BTW, your SD of 85 is quite high. Not to say SD is a huge deal at 100yd for a deer gun but better is better. Possible agravated by the light charge, but you probably will see an improvment in SD and possibly accuracy if you try win primers. Also if you could tolorate anouther grain or two of powder and get your velocity up over 2300 fps for the shot or two youll need for hunting, you'd be much better off. You wont feel the recoil when hunting any way. Load up a few with rem 150 rn (speficaly the 30-30 type), win LRP, 4895 is a great choice for light loads. Although any 30-30 bullet is much better than a spitzer at low velocity I recomed the rem 30-30 bullets specificaly becaus they have a lot of exposed lead, are cheap and quite accurate. You shouldn't have to crimp the bullet for your box mag unless you find better accuracy that way.
Let us know how it goes.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.

Page generated in 0.03585 seconds with 8 queries