View Single Post
Old March 15, 2014, 08:10 AM   #14
F. Guffey

Best method and or technique. then there is the rational/reason.

For a long time there was the sheading of the neck, I referred to the cases with shredded necks as 'squid neck cases', shredding the neck reduced bullet hold, called neck tension by some. Being fair and objective I found all kind of problems with loose neck cases. First ?, a measurement must be made from the ojive to the case head, then the reloader has to start seating bullets in in cases a little at a time then remove and measure and repeat the process until they give up and then decide 'that is good enough'.

the next process starts the same way, 'GET RID OF THE BULLET HOLD. called neck tension by most'. Then all the qualifying statements when working with loose necks like 'you gotta be careful', 'don't stick your bullet into rifling because the rifling may decide to keep the bullet' etc., etc..

I want all the bullet hold I can get, I am not a fan of making a transfer (called dummy by other reloaders for obvious reasons, they do not understand transfers). I transfer the chamber dimension straight to the seating die, I do not measure the transfer and then move the case with the seated bullet in and out of the press to measure the length from the ojive to the head of the case.

If pushing the bullet out of the case and into the lands causes a strain figure a way to hold the case and thread a sleeve that is threaded into the primer pocket/flash hole, take advantage of the incline plain.

http://www.ohio.edu/people/williar4/...ch/Inplane.htm

I have no trouble pushing a bullet out of the case and into the lands because I have shop skills, even if I had to put effort into the project, I would not complain.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02725 seconds with 8 queries