View Single Post
Old May 1, 2006, 04:50 PM   #8
Dave R

Just to expand on a couple of the answers...

Quote:
(2)How do you set the bullet at the right depth? Does the loader do it for you or do you have to measure?
There are several techniques for getting length right:
1. Most reloading manuals have recommended lengths. They'll be safe in 'most' guns.
2. You can customize overall length to your rifle, using a either a gauge built for the purpose, or by marking the end of a bullet with candle smoke or a marker, and chambering it to see if you get marks indicating the bullet is contacting the rifling. That process is described in most reloading manuals, and in the instructions in most die sets. In rifles, playing with length until the bullet is just off the lands will sometimes increase accuracy. After you determine the right length, you set your die and it makes all cartridges the same.

Quote:
I hear people talking about working a load up
You always start below the max listed in a reloading manual, and add more powder, looking for either the most accurate load, or the fastest SAFE load. Usually, the most accurate is under the max. That's where you want to be. Short version--the barrel "whips" as the cartridge burns and the bullet travels down the bore. Like a hose when you turn on the water. Every wave had a max waveheight and a min waveheight. You're basically tuning the load so the bullet exits the bore at the min waveheight. That's where the barrel is moving least. I may not have explained that well. Someone can correct me.

Page generated in 0.02834 seconds with 8 queries