View Single Post
Old March 27, 2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Malamute

The Bonanza gun rigs I've seen, and recall from way back, were post-1900 Hollywood fast draw type rigs. There are very few period photos of anyone wearing belt rigs with the holster hanging off of a slot in the belt. The few that exist were on very wide belts made for large rifle cartridges, and one was a rig made for rifle and pistol cartridges. Otherwise, the belts were just that, belts, with the holster carried over the belp, not in a slot cut in the bottom of the belt, and no contoured belts with a drop loop. So, to call them civil war period rigs isn't accurate. The part about being an earlier period may be the reasoning, but it sure got lost in all the other details, like cartrdige pistols, and lever action rifles of later period, tho Hoss had a mocked up Henry (92 with the forend removed, and what looks like brass built up on the front of the receiver).

Holsters that hang down low arent very comfortable to walk in, they tend to flop around on your leg. A holster worn on your waist is very comfortable to walk or ride with.

Cartridge loops were common from the mid 1960's on. Plain belts were often modifed for loops, both civilian and military. I don't think I can get behind the idea that some people simply didn't take extra rounds, tho some may not have had many extras. A cartridge belt is a very handy way to carry accesible ammunition with you.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; March 27, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.04467 seconds with 8 queries