View Single Post
Old May 4, 2009, 03:22 AM   #1
butta9999

Rabbits out of control

The big news in Melbourne is that rabbit numbers are the highest in over 50 years in our state of Victoria. It has hit the papers been on radio and there is a special presentation on it this week, thursday night.

I think it's total CRAP, i have hunted rabbits for 23 years now starting at the age of 5 with dad, using ferrets and shooting. The rabbit population is no where near the numbers it was even 10-15 years ago.

The media talks about places like Bacchus Marsh with is a rural suburb, 40 min away from me. Even Werribee where i go at my dad's work, yes there are rabbits but not in plague proportion.

Where i hunt out bush for rabbits there are no where near the numbers that used to be on these properties 10 years ago. Example 1990 to 1999 my family and i would get at least 100 pair in a 2-3 day hunt. Now the same properties we are lucky to shoot 20-30 rabbits.

The only understanding i have of this farce is that the bulding and construction of new estates and suburbs are driving the rabbits together in smaller areas. When surveying the areas it shows bigger percentages of rabbits, but no mention of what the areas are.

I do agree there are many healthy pockets of rabbits in Victoria and Australia but not the biggest numbers in over 50 years...

Anyway thats enough from down under..............

Page generated in 0.03212 seconds with 8 queries