View Single Post
Old June 8, 2008, 10:16 AM   #76
Dearhunter61

Long Range Ethics or Why or why not a magnum?

Nicely said Art.

This thread sure has taken a life of its own...

You can not base hunting ethics AS A RULE on simply the distance of a shot. Ability must be taken into consideration...I have seen guys at the range who have no more business shooting at deer at a 100 yards based on what I saw at the range, 6-8 inch groups, than I do at a 1000 yards, heck 500 yards.

I also know that hunters have different things they enjoy about hunting. My brother used to love simply making the perfect shot. That is what it was all about for him. I personally enjoy the hunt. The scounting, the preparation, stalking game etc. The shot is simply the beginning of hopefully the end of a great HUNT. So for me I do not choose to shoot out beyond what I am comfortable with and that is about 300 yards.

So ethics need to be based on ability and the persons conscience.

It sounds like a lot of folks are like my brother was...it is all about the shot and not as much about the hunt. To me the hunt and the challenge would be to close the distance between me and the game...that is what it is all about...hunting. If I fail to get close enough...oh well I will just keep trying. If it is all about the shot then go get you a Silhouette of the game you want to shoot and shoot at that at a thousand yards. Let that provide you with the satisfaction? Just a thought.

I will say that if you can not make the shot you are attempting 90% of the time then you should reconsider...stalk closer...THIS IS JUST MY ETHICS. But hey we live in a country where you are free to choose to do this if you want and you are not bound by mine or anyone else's ethics.

As far as the magnums...it is about performance. They will shoot longer with more energy and therefore more killing power. I purchased mine, 7mm Win Mag and 300 Win Mag, when I was a lot younger and I was a lot more macho. Not so macho anymore...amazing how that tends to work as we get older. But that being said I still hunt primarily with my 7mm Win Mag just because its performance, or mine with it, is better than the other rifles I have.

Page generated in 0.04231 seconds with 8 queries