View Single Post
Old July 7, 2013, 12:10 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

I got my first Desert Eagle the year they came out (1984?) or very close to that. .357 Magnum (all that was offered at first). WOW!

Got a .44 Magnum in 1990. Bigger WOW!

OK, they aren't for everyone, no matter what Hollywood has decided. Not well suited to the general range of usual handgun uses, but then they were never meant to be. They are a specialty piece, and never intended to be anything else.

People who complain about that just don't get it. Too big, too heavy, too expensive, etc...

That's you opinion, and you're welcome to it. The Desert Eagle is in a different class of handgun than most others. Comparing the Desert Eagle to any non-magnum autopistol is an unfair comparison.

Forget the fact that Hollywood fell in love with the dramatic size and looks of the Desert Eagle, pretending they are just a pistol that looks good in the camera viewfinder and ignoring reality. That's what Hollywood does best, ignoring reality. (although I will admit, watching Pam Anderson handle those big guns in Barb Wire was a visual treat...)

Forget the "DEagle" in the video games. Again, reality is quite different. The only real thing the Desert Eagle in video games and movies does is create a potential market for the real gun. And a lot of people who do finally get one, sell it afterwards, because reality isn't quite what they see on the screen.

I have had two of the .357s, and one .44, and still have the .44. I should have kept at least one of the .357s....oh well...

My gun is today called a Mk I although it was made before there were any "Mark" numbers. I have handled some of the newer guns, and the only noticeable differences are some changes to the safety lever, slide release lever, and a built in scope rail.

4.25 pounds empty! Add a full magazine of 8 .44 Mag rounds and the weight increases noticeably! On the other hand, recoil is similar to a .45auto with snappy loads. Blast, however is not.

My experience is that once you get past their quirks (which are many) the Desert Eagles are accurate reliable pistols, provided they are held the right way, and fed ammo they like. They are NOT even remotely omnivores, and can be sensitive about feeding when held wrong.

The magazines need to "float" for proper feeding. A "cup & saucer" type hold is a bad idea. Feeding malfunctions can result from pressure on the magazine base plate. It does take more effort to rack the slide than on a duty class auto, but this is to be expected, considering what you are dealing with.

With a multiple lug rotating bolt and gas operation, the Desert Eagle is radically different from all of the Browning tilt barrel lockup variations out there. The gas system is unique, and the Desert Eagle's huge muzzle silhouette is a result of that. Gas is ported from just ahead of the chamber, travels down a tube (inside the barrel assembly) almost to the muzzle, where it turns 180 degrees to act against the gas piston. Unlike most other gas operated guns, the user cannot disassemble and clean most of it. Only the expansion chamber and piston can be cleaned by normal methods. SO it is rather important that one NOT use ammo that will clog/plug the barrel port.

Lead bullets even hard cast ones can do this. It's not just the lead, but also the bullet lube and powder residue that can cause problems. Original manuals were very specific about which ammo to use, and only that ammo could be relied on for reliable functioning.

Other ammo can work, including handloads, but one must experiment to find what is reliable, and what isn't. It was also "commonly" known that (at least in the early days) Hercules 2400 powder was not recommended by the makers, due to the possibility of unburned powder clogging the gas system.

Right there, a huge segment of the common magnum ammo is unsuitable for the Desert Eagle. Again, it is a specialty piece, not a general use pistol.

I said it was fair to only compare the Desert Eagle with other pistols in the same class. And having a collection of all the magnum autos, I can do that.

Compared to the other magnum autos, Auto Mag, Wildey, LAR Grizzly, & Coonan , the Desert Eagle has some advantages, and some ..issues. A larger grip than most of the others, if you wear a size 9 glove its manageable, but not comfortable. Heavier than most of the others. Stock sights are fixed (drift for windage) while the Grizzly, Wildey and Auto Mag came with fully adjustable sights standard, on the DE they are an aftermarket option.

Very finicky about ammo, and the total prohibition against shooting lead bullet ammo (and I would avoid jacketed bullets with exposed lead bases as well) means it is more difficult to feed than some of the others.

Balance that against the fact that the DE is chambered in commonly available calibers, even though you do need to be picky about which loading you choose. SO, brass is easy to get, unlike .44AMP or .45 WinMag.

The one thing that the Desert Eagle has managed that none of the other magnum auto pistols did is staying power. Its not the best possible design (IMO), but it does work, and has sold well enough to remain on the market. No doubt Hollywood & video games have helped with that part of its success.

If you've got questions about any of the magnum autos, I'll answer the best I can. Also, I don't do the .50. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just made a decision not to bother with it, as my needs and wants are met with .44/.45 cal guns and I don't need another caliber to tool up for...

Page generated in 0.04563 seconds with 8 queries