View Single Post
Old October 30, 2001, 02:55 PM   #20
FPrice

Dave,

Good post on preparedness. FWIW, there was a thread recently (can't find it offhand) asking if TFL members would like to see a Survivalist Forum on TFL. Many members replied in the positive, but quite a few suggested that it be named something like "Preparedness" to avoid some of the subjects you mentioned at the start of your post. My personal opinion is that "Preparedness" is a better title than "Survival" for several reasons, not in the least that it can cover many "routine" emergencies such as weather, natural disater, etc.

A few additional comments I would like to add to your post. I second the receommendation to get as much First Aid training as you can get. You never know when you will need it. Also, consider carrying a good First Aid kit in each of your cars. Several times I have been at kids sporting events and other gatherings where someone gets hurt and no one has a first aid kit. My wife and I have been quite the momentary heroes when we pull out our kit and take care of some kid who has a minor scrape or cut.

Don't hestitate to get a GOOD First Aid kit for your house, one that is better than your level of training (but shop wisely!). One of the best bits of advice I heard during the Y2K preparations was to invest in some good medical supplies (without going overboard). The basic reason was that in an emergency situation you are more likley to find someone who may be able to use that equipment than someone who has their own when you need it.

With (perishable) medical supplies and food, insure that you rotate your stocks. Use the oldest stuff in reserve up as you need it, and get fresh stuff to re-supply your cache.

As far a a pistol caliber carbine, Marlin makes a great .357 in their 1894 rifle. I have the .44 Mag version as a companion to my Ruger Vacquero and consider it a great short-range rifle. Just make sure that your ammo has a good FLAT point. Pointy bullets do not react well in tubular magazines.

But perhaps the best preparation is to develop the ability to remain calm and focused in an emergency situation. Don't allow yourself to get "stampeded" by scare tactics or emotion. I think that law enforcement, first responders, and military have the best training in this although this is not a pre-requisite.

I hope that the "Preparedness" forum does get going here since the TFL membership could probably make this an interesting and informative place to exchange ides.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Page generated in 0.02860 seconds with 8 queries