View Single Post
Old September 1, 2014, 02:11 PM   #8
handlerer2

I have heard of detached retinas from shooting dangerous game cartridges from the bench, but always assumed it was another urban myth. Who knows though. I would need to have a first hand report, before I considered it factual.

I have quit shooting the WBY's from the bench w/o the ;lead sock. When hunting, I use the 300WBY, I have only had to fire one shot and don't recall the recoil. When I used to shoot it from the bench w/o the sock, six rounds and I was groaning. I got smart though and let my teenage son, do the testing reloads for me. He, all 130# of him, is able to accommodate recoil better than me. He goes with the recoil, where I tend to absorb it.

I finally broke down and asked my neurologist, about shooting heavy recoiling rifles and he said it probably wasn't such a good idea to shoot it repeatedly w/o some sort of recoil reduction, from the bench. He was a hunter and shooter also and sympathized with my reluctance to give my hobby of almost 50 years. He also advised that I not hunt alone in the mountains anymore. I had told him that the last two deer I hauled out, nearly wrecked me. After hauling them a mile or so back to the old Dorango, and driving two hours home, I folded up like a lawn chair, with mighty leg cramps, when I stepped out of the truck. That was four years ago and i haven't gone deer hunting since. I have turned the 300WBY over to my son, who is 23 now. He shoots better than me anyway.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries