View Single Post
Old October 23, 2013, 11:53 AM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNavy
Isn't that kinda like saying there's a F-150 shortage because the closest Ford dealer is 100 miles away and you don't like the Manager and refuse to shop there, and now you have to drive twice as far or settle for a Chevy?

I'm not an economics major and maybe I'm being a little dense (please tell me), but just because every store across the whole country isn't busting at the seams with stocked shelves doesn't mean ammo isn't available to the average person with a click of the mouse or a drive... so while you might have to take an afternoon and head a few counties over to get that special truck you want, you might have to do the same to get ammo... but it's there.

So I guess if we collectively want to say "there's still a ammo shortage" within the technical definition of whatever chapter in Economics 101 that covers supply&demand, I guess thats fine... but I think it would be as accurate to say there's just as much a shortage of motivated buyers who say "I can't find any", when they really mean, "I don't want to wait 3 days and pay 50% more than I did last year."
Well, yeah, you're being a little dense. A shortage is when something isn't readily available on average, when supply can't keep up with demand. If the average person has to go out of their way to get something that used to be available at every store that sold such things, it a shortage. That's pretty much the definition.

Ammo isn't extinct. Of course it can still be had but it's no where close to as available as it was 1 year or most especially 2 or 3 years ago.

Your own example illustrates exactly what a shortage is and why there is one.

That's a shortage. There is far more demand than supply.

Page generated in 0.04082 seconds with 8 queries