View Single Post
Old October 26, 2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

I don't know why a 17 caliber bullet would wreck a barrel... my guess is more barrels get wrecked from cleaning rods than 17 rimfires...

I did replace the barrel on my FIL's old Remington 700 in 17 Remington, & those rifles are known to eat out the throats, ( but that is a 223 case necked down to 17 caliber, & my FIL, had loads that were faster than the bullets could hold, & the bullets would come apart before they hit the target )but I don't even shoot the old 17 Remington much anymore, especially since I did the rebarrel, I changed the rifle over to 17 Fireball...

I'm sure there are many, many shooters here, that have thousands of rounds through their 17 HMR's, & they still shoot fine ( just used that example, because it's the more popular rimfire chambering )

I suppose it's possible, that if a poor quality barrel steel were used, that it would last longer in a 22 RF, than in one of the 17 RF's...

BTW... I'd expect copper fouling, before a barrel actually being shot out, with the 17 RF's

Page generated in 0.04508 seconds with 8 queries