View Single Post
Old September 15, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
mcw3734

Hip holsters & proper backpack fit

Seeking advice on those who carry a handgun while backpacking/hiking regarding their choice of hip holster. This also touches on the subject of how to properly fit a backpack. This is not meant to be a discussion of should one or shouldn’t one carry.

So I’m looking for a holster while wearing my backpack. My concern is that with those hip pads, it might interfere with a standard belt holster. I looked and looked for something that might work and found a Drop and Offset holster by Blade Tech on-line. I received it in the mail the same week I got my Eberlestock Dragonfly backpack.

Retrieving the gun from the holster felt clumsy, though it’s adjustable and I’m going to try different settings. I think it would feel much better held tight against my hip. Also, the Eberlestock hip pads really aren’t all that poofy and it looks like a regular holster might work. I DO NOT want a holster on the pack itself, I want to be able to take the pack off but keep the gun on me.

It also got me thinking if I’m not wearing my pack like I should. I put about 80 pounds in it and strapped it on as it came out of the box. I understand how the weight should fit on your hips, but the way I have it, the hip pads were covering my belt. My friend tells me that that is too low. For him, his might touch the top of his belt or not at all. He’s done a bunch of backpacking so he’ll help me fit the pack.

So for those who pack a handgun on their hip, what hip holster do you recommend? My gun is a S&W 629 Mountain Gun. Thanks for the feedback.

Take Care,
MIKE

Page generated in 0.02596 seconds with 8 queries