Thread: .17 on coyote
View Single Post
Old March 9, 2010, 10:03 PM   #22
Hunter Customs

My coyote shooting is coming to a close for this year. The last one I shot was a week ago today.
The shot was a standing broadside shot with a slight angle, the distance was just short of 300 yards.
The gun I used was my bull barrel 243, the one shooting the 95 grain BT bullets at a little over 3200 fps.
I placed a good hit in the kill zone and with the slight angle the coyote was standing the bullet exited on the far side just behind the last rib.
Exit wound was about 1.5 inches in diameter and there was parts of internal organs along with a good deal of blood spray.
When the coyote was hit she spun around three times and took off over the hill like her butt was on fire. I was totally shocked that she did not drop as I knew my hit was good.
The coyote ran 100 yards before she folded up and with out the exit wound leaving a good blood trail there's a very good chance I would not have found her. My experience with light bullets is that in most cases there's no exit wound, very little if any blood trail and the coyotes will run much farther when hit with them.
I'm a big fan of heavier bullets and I'm even considering going to heavier bullets in my 223 and the 22-250.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Page generated in 0.02790 seconds with 8 queries