View Single Post
Old December 21, 2008, 02:04 AM   #7
Jim March

In the world of $500-price-range SAA clones, the Ubertis will be the best looking, the USFA Rodeo will shoot the best and the Ruger (New Vaquero) will be overall toughest and have the transfer bar safety for safe six-up carry. (Avoid the Taurus Gaucho due to quality control issues.)

Most Ubertis made in the last five to eight years ago to the present are decent guns. At one point about 10 years ago I *think* they improved their metallurgy.

Where possible I would buy Ubertis from Cimmaron - they replace the springs with Wolff or other US-source, and they do a bit of final checkout and cleanup. You also get good stateside warrantee service.

My choice was a Ruger New Vaquero as soon as they came out (2005) in 357. ZERO regrets. It shot great out of the box, windage dead on, and has responded well to minor tweaks such as a spring kit and SuperBlackHawk hammer I installed myself and improved sights done by a smith in the Seattle area. This gun isn't treated as a toy, it's my daily CCW piece (!) in a fanny pack.

Page generated in 0.02343 seconds with 8 queries