View Single Post
Old May 1, 2013, 11:42 PM   #111
Kimio

I'm looking to pursue an education degree myself, and if I was in the teachers position, I would have requested the child come with me, away from the crowd and then politely state that I do not believe the shirt is appropriate at this time and tell him why.

To play the devils advocate here, I would simply say, in light of recent events with Sandy hook among others, I think it would be prudent that he change his shirt so not to unintentionally make others feel uncomfortable and if he would please change into something else.

There, that's easy, no harm done. If the child refused, I will ask once again, and if he still refuses, I will say I will need to speak with his parents on the matter and then let him go on his way.

I would then inform the principle and request a teacher parent conference so that we may discuss this situation in private.

Clean, professional and no big fuss created (in public at least). Of course I don't have an issue with the shirt, what I take issue with is that according to the written school dress code, as stated on their website, the 14 year old was completely within the boundaries of the schools dress code regulations.

The teacher was wrong to make a fuss out in the open, the teacher was even further in the wrong for demanding that the student disrobe and change, despite him not breaking any rules, and the police were wrong to arrest the child IMHO. This is what I believe based on what limited information we have.

My opinion may or may not change if/when we get more information on what exactly went on. However, which ever way you look at it, the teacher could have handled this much much better, so to avoid all this headache.

Page generated in 0.03575 seconds with 8 queries