View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 07:31 AM   #38
AK103K

Quote:
You appear to have missed my point completely. I'll say it yet again: a manual safety sometimes gives people the luxury of practicing unsafe gun handling techniques with fewer consequences. For example: you can get away with always keeping your finger on the trigger of a loaded gun if it has an engaged manual safety. With a Glock, most people are more likely to be careful with it because they know it will fire when the trigger is pulled.
I understand where youre coming from, but I think you might be missing the point as well.

First and foremost, there is no "luxury of practicing unsafe gun handling techniques", you either do it right, or youre going to have problems.

Second, with a gun with a manual safety, the safety will be, or should be, off the second it clears the holster, or is picked up. Why would you leave it on? On or off, the gun is no different than any other gun, Glock included, and your finger stays off the trigger until the gun starts to come to bear on the target.

If youre counting on that safety to keep you safe while you put your finger on the trigger, youre just asking for serious trouble.

Quote:
Just as a gun can make it easier to kill people, a gun with a manual safety can make it easier to ignore basic safety rules. I see it every day. It's far easier to teach new shooters to keep their finger off the trigger when you tell them the gun they're holding has no safety and will fire when the trigger is pulled.
Safety rules are safety rules, you either follow them, or you dont. What type safety the gun might have, means nothing.

Its far easier to teach someone that if the gun is in their hand, the safety should be off (assuming the gun has one), and if they touch the trigger, the gun will go off. Why instill bad habits?

Quote:
I'm guessing the reason I've gotten so much flak for making this point is that people somehow think that I'm against manual safeties and I think that the Glock is a superior design.
This has nothing to do with gun design at all. It has to do with proper education and gun handling.

Quote:
Every good design has its pros and cons: a con of the Glock is that it's easier to fire accidentally because it has no manual safety. But because of this, many people are more conscientious when handling Glocks.
The only con to any of them, is the person handling it. Im no more conscientious in handling a 1911 than I am a Glock or anything else. The rules are the rules, regardless. Dont touch the trigger until you intend to shoot. You always handle, holster, and treat the gun, as if it had no safety and a hair trigger.

Page generated in 0.02968 seconds with 8 queries